Friday, March 21, 2014

Hoops, There It Is!

Success Skills | Prioritize Opportunities

By Jonathan Dunnemann
 

When I woke up this morning, I asked myself what are the most important things that I need to accomplish today so that I can enjoy watching the NCAA Basketball Tournament on television tonight? At the top of my list is finishing painting of the dining room in our house which has to be completed before I go to work today. 

My wife recently had the chandelier hanging above the table in this room replaced and while it made the room look far more elegant it also highlighted the dullness of the walls and their urgent need for a fresh coat of paint.

Whenever I set out to tackle work in any room of our house I usually try to take care of as many things as our budget and my time will allow so that I don't have to come back and do additional work in the same area in the short-term. In keeping with this approach, I have added the task of re-staining the dining room floor boards and the wooden floor as well. That means that I better add to my plan using some of my time on Saturday afternoon after I return home from work to put the finishing touches on everything.  In the end, it is up to me to make sure that things go according to plan. At risk, is being able to kick back and continue enjoying March Madness 2014 in the evening.

Because there are always other chores that can interrupt my efforts, I must keep reminding myself to show patience. Especially since I really want to achieve very good work results. The truth is no matter if it is a to do list for work, school or extracurricular activities we have to remain committed through to the end of the things that we start. So, let's make sure that you and I always set our priorities, and its generally a good idea to take the opportunity and care for the least favorite and more time consuming tasks first. That way, at the end of the day you can both reward yourself and feel good about doing what you originally set out to do.  And, if you really deliver big time on your promises then the Mrs may even bring you home a fresh pizza to enjoy just in time for the evening games to begin.

Let's go Gonzaga Zags!!!

Stay focused, productive, and be your best self.
JD

No comments:

Post a Comment