Monday, July 7, 2014

Shining Stars

By Jon Dunnemann


The last time that I took a long and hard look at myself in the mirror, I detected a great many imperfections. Whether it be as a result of the natural aging process, the replacement of an enlarged ego with increasing humility or the final acceptance of the impermanence of my life, I fully admit that I am really not all that special. 

This whole appearance in the world thing was never seemingly meant to be scripted just so that I would be made into the most significant character but rather to simply offer me a privileged opportunity to fulfill my role as a contributor to the betterment in performance on the part of others. 

It sure has taken me a hell of a long time to lose my costume of self-importance. Even now, I still find myself occasionally tripping over or clumsily obstructing the pathway of more sincere minded and youthful understudies at the time of curtain call.

Getting other folks off to a really good start while at the same time teaching them how to breath, have forethought, maintain their focus, to be self-regulated and to be self-reflective is so very essential; including our own son Daniel and a number of hospital service volunteers alike.

My past mistakes are the very truths that I am best able to teach. Though they may have held me back or shortened my race over time they have managed to be weathered into instruments of much needed direction and prevention against unnecessary accidents that might otherwise ruin a promising young talent's career or worse yet their precious life.

Though I may personally be washed up as a performer myself, I truly love being able to play even the smallest of parts in lifting up others so that they might become shining stars. It is indeed a very rich reward and one that I never really saw coming until recently.

No comments:

Post a Comment