Sunday, March 16, 2014

Don't Stop Believing




On March 30, 2012, after 25 years my career in the banking industry ended. 

As of April 1st, 2014, a new chapter in my life begins wherein I will be serving others as a Life Skills Counselor working with youth ages 17 to 21 for the Catholic Charities Diocese of Trenton at the Beacon House which is located in Neptune, NJ.

This particular work is something that I envisioned doing all of my adult life because of my own experiences as a foster child from age 15 to 21. In fact, it was the motivation behind why I applied to and gained admission to graduate studies at The Chicago Theological Seminary (CTS) in March of 1978. However, I was not able to pursue this opportunity at that time. Therefore, it ended up becoming a dream deferred.

Over the course of the last two years, I completed the writing of a biography of my experiences as a foster youth, a book of 18 poems, designed two internet blogs, one which has received over 60,000 page views and the other one is now nearing 10,000 page views.

Professionally, I spent six months volunteering at a nearby hospital and this experience turned into an employment opportunity as a per diem working in the Emergency Department where I learned how to best attend to the needs of patients through kindness, compassion and diligence.  

In addition, I also managed to live within my means on a daily basis. It wasn't easy. It was made easier by losing my ego, humbly accepting the things that I could not change, and then recognizing, accepting and ultimately changing those things that truly needed to be  changed within me.

Life is often funny this way isn't it?

One of the most significant things that I have learned through all of this, don't stop believing!!!

Many blessings.
JD

No comments:

Post a Comment