Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Youth in Transition to Adulthood

Next Monday, April 7th I began my new role as a 'Life Skills Instructor' working on behalf of Catholic Charities Diocese of Trenton New Jersey with youth who are transitioning out of the foster care system. As a former foster care youth myself between the age of 15 to 21 years old, experiencing 4 placements, I hope that I will be able to effectively contribute to the positive development of today's youth between the ages 17 to 21 who are nearing the start of their very demanding and difficult journey towards self-hood, independent living, and with less financial assistance being made available to them in the future.

Below, a 20 minute cut of the award winning documentary From Place to Place, although a bit outdated, provides concrete background on what I am likely to see initially in the coming weeks ahead.




Youth's success will be gauged on the extent to which they are aided in becoming more capable in driving personal changes from within and in demonstrating for themselves improved life skills, goal selection, self-direction and self-regulation, along with an increased sense of self-efficacy.

It is a tremendous honor and I am so very grateful to have this opportunity to serve these youth in this very difficult period of their lives.

Kind regards.
JD 

No comments:

Post a Comment